Saturday, March 17, 2012

Throw Pillows for the Duvet

I ran into a road block while finishing off the duvet cover.  The queen-sized duvet cover was so large, I didn't have a good place to spread it out and pin on the back cover.  While I attempted to lay it out on the floor in my hall, I didn't have enough room to stretch out the wrinkles.  So, I decided to work on another part of the project before finding a place to pin the duvet. 

I started on the matching pillowcases.  While my sister already decided on a gray fabric for the standard pillow shams, it took me awhile to come up with a layout I liked for the throw pillows.  I wanted to include elements that were in the duvet itself.  I put the floral fabric in a centered rectangle with thin pink and green borders.  However, I couldn't decide what fabric to use for the majority of the throw pillow.  I was trying to decide between the blue fabric and the black polka-dot fabric.


I finally decided to use a combination.  The main fabric was the black polka-dot fabric, with small side borders of blue fabric.  (Another factor in my decision, was that I had more polka-dot fabric.)   I used a white fabric for the envelope back cover.



Throughout this project, I have learned a lot about ways to conserve fabric.  For example, I only had thin strips of the floral fabric.  I had to sew two small strips together to form the center rectangle.  Although I couldn't match the patterns together exactly, I tried to make it as "seamless" as I could.  My supply of pink and green fabric was also fairly low, so I could only do thin borders with them.

1 comment:

  1. Often while looking at your bed room, the first thing that catches your eye is the bedspread. And, when it comes to bed spreads in Dubai, the swanky yet traditional collection of the city can give every other place, a run for it. If planning to shop some real fine clothed bed sheets, Dubai reckons you with arms wide open.

    ReplyDelete