Saturday, March 24, 2012

Finished Duvet!

After I finally found a place to stretch out the duvet in order to pin it (my parents' dining room), the process started moving along quickly. 

When I finished sewing the duvet, I realized that one of the issues I was concerned about had to be dealt with.  I needed to attach the back flap to the front in some way.  Some options were buttons, a zipper, or ties.  After some deliberation, I decided to make ties with the same black patterned fabric I used on the duvet.  (I thought this would blend in better.)  I remembered reading about a creative idea for ties in my friend Megan's blog, Textile Love.  Since Megan is such an experienced sewer, I contacted her to get the exact details on how to make them. 

I attached them to the back flap and the top about every 12 inches.  They are attached in such a way that they are not very noticeable from the front.











The pillow shams were next.  (At this point, I was just ready to be done!)  I made them out of a coordinating gray fabric and finished them with french seams for durability.  Here is a picture of all the pillows:


When I made the duvet, I had always planned on the patchwork stripes running horizontally.  But, after I put it on the bed, I decided I might like how it looks better with the stripes running vertically.  (The good thing about this queen-sized duvet is that it is square, so you can flip it either way.)  I can't decide.  What do you think?




Well, I am glad to be done!  I hope my sister likes it!

No comments:

Post a Comment