Thursday, March 29, 2012

Jersey-licious

I have been looking forward to making some jersey skirts for quite some time now.  They are extremely comfortable and can be dressed up or dressed down.  However, it is very difficult to find garment fabric in my area.  After looking at three local fabric stores, I knew that I would have to travel in order to find some.  Luckily I work near Gastonia, home of Mary Jo’s Cloth Store.  The other day, my colleagues and I took a trip to Mary Jo’s after eating lunch.  Although I was a little overwhelmed at the selection, I found some lime green and bright blue jersey fabric.  I also found a good website for ordering garment fabrics, and I went a little crazy.  Here are all the jersey fabrics I bought in the last few days:


Here is the lime green cotton jersey skirt:


Waistband:


Below is a picture of the waistband folded over.  (When you make the waistband, it is best to make it pretty tall so you can fold it in half.)


Finished Product:



I chose to leave the edges at the bottom without a hem, because I like the way it hangs.  I have read that this type of fabric doesn't unravel, so it shouldn't need a hem.  I may choose to sew one in the future.  Now, on to some more colors! 

2 comments:

  1. Yes, you have found the silver lining to sewing with knits, they don't need to be hemmed, serged, zig-zaged, or anything. I love the lime green color! Awesome job as always Les!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg! Yeah, no hemming was definitely a plus. Thanks for the info on fabric and fabric stores earlier.

      Delete